Saturday, January 11, 2014

How to Survive an Arctic Blast (Skincare Edition)

As you might have heard, the entire country was recently visited by Mother Nature's sick joke: cold COLD weather. My little corner of the world was -40 degrees Fahrenheit for two days, which cancelled work (score) but wreaked havoc on my skin. Dry, flaky, red, the whole nine yards. But thanks to these wonder products, I've finally gotten a handle on the bitter cold.



If you're feeling a little chilly, bundle up and make an online order for these on the double:

Fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Lip Treatment
Okay, I admit it -- I bite my lips. It's an awful habit I'm trying to break for the sake of my fabulous lip colors, but anxiety and restlessness often get the better of me. Last winter I splurged on this balm, knowing I would love it. But I didn't. It was too greasy, not long-lasting enough, and overpriced to boot ($28?!). But recently my lips have been too awful to mention and nothing has helped, not even my beloved Nuxe Reve de Miel or Jack Black. I dug this out again and poof! Miracles. The letters may be peeling off, but it's because it's never far from my coat pocket. Its creamy consistency plumps, moisturizes and softens, putting my lips in perfect pout position once again.

Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cream
I got a sample of this from Sephora in early October and it was all love from there. First spotted on Caroline Hirons' blog (who else), this cream has become my skin savior. It's full of lactic acid via pure goat milk and all kinds of other good stuff like aloe, jojoba, and coconut oil (which I worried might break me out; a fear that was mercifully unfounded) that soothes and hydrates. When combined with the next two items, my skin is a happy camper.

Hydraluron
The one, the only, the legend. Much hyped and raved about on every UK skincare blog ever made, this serum's 100% pure hyaluronic acid formula is everything and more. I pop it on before my oil/moisturizer and wake up to plump, beautiful skin. It can be hard to find in the States, but I got mine shipped from Canada -- on sale, too! Holy grail stuff here, folks. I will never ever be without this ever. (If you needed reminding of the weather: my tube sat in my mailbox for a few hours and froze completely solid. Luckily it's no worse for the wear.)

Fresh Seaberry Moisturizing Face Oil
I know I talk Fresh up a lot, but their products are just so, so lovely and they're one of my most favorite brands. Twice on this list alone! This face oil is stunning. Made with sea buckthorn (a traditional burn remedy), camellia seed, cranberry seed, grapeseed and sweet almond oils, this magic elixir transforms dry, red skin into smooth, soft skin OVERNIGHT. I saw a reduction in my acne scarring as well. It's a drier oil, so it doesn't make my face greasy. I mix a few drops in with my moisturizer day and night for amazing results. Try it, kids. You won't be sorry.

There you go -- a field guide to surviving the polar freeze. Buckle up, it's going to be a long winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment